Skip to main content

Bonfire night

Remember, remember the 5th of November… While last year’s Bonfire Night wasn’t one we want to remember, this year we can return to celebrating in a safe, memorable way. 

Attending a bonfire display safely

With some bonfire and firework displays taking place again this year, here are a few tips for staying safe:

  • It is safer, better for the environment and often less expensive to attend organised public firework displays.
  • Before attending an event, it’s a good idea to take a lateral flow device (LFD) COVID-19 test at home, to make sure you haven’t got the virus without realising it. You can find out more about how and where to get LFD test kits at the Scottish Government website.
  • While physical distancing is no longer a legal requirement, if you’re attending a display, try and keep at least a metre away from other households if you can. 

Staying safe on Bonfire Night

According to RoSPA, firework celebrations can end in painful injuries, for adults and children. So if you decide to let off fireworks in your own garden, make sure you stay safe by following the firework code. You can find out more about firework safety at the Fire Safety Scotland website. You can also download a leaflet on Bonfire Night safety here.

Remember, it's illegal to set off fireworks before 6pm and after 11pm in the evening. This is extended to midnight on 5th November and 1am on Hogmanay, Chinese New Year and Diwali.

For some people, fireworks can be distressing and frightening. So if you’re thinking of setting off fireworks in your garden, talk to your neighbours first to let them know, so it doesn’t come as a shock, and so they can keep their pets indoors. Remember, if you have pets, you should always keep them indoors on Bonfire Night. You can find out more about keeping pets safe on Bonfire Night on the SSPCA website.
 

Using sparklers safely

Did you know that sparklers burn at 1,000-1,600°C? That’s 10 times the temperature of boiling water and 5 times hotter than cooking oil! So while sparklers may seem like a harmless way of bringing a bit of pop and fizz to Bonfire Night, they can be very dangerous. If you do decide to use sparklers, here’s how to stay safe:

  • Never give a sparkler to a child under 5
  • Always supervise children with sparklers
  • Wear gloves when holding sparklers
  • Light sparklers one at a time
  • When they’re done, put used sparklers hot end down in a bucket of water.

Tips for a fun Bonfire Night at home