Skip to main content
Scottish government logo

If your child is still age 4 on the day they would usually start primary 1, you’ve got the right to delay (or defer) when they start primary school. This means they can start school the following year, when they’re 5. There’s a lot to think about, so we’ve put together some things to consider before making a decision.  

Jump to a section in this article

When do children usually start school in Scotland?

Generally, children in Scotland start school when they are aged between four-and-a-half and five-and-a-half. When they are eligible to start school depends on when their fifth birthday is:

  • If your child’s birthday is on or between 1 March and the first day of school in August, your child will usually start school in the August (the beginning of Autumn term) of the year they turn 5.
  • If your child’s birthday is on or between the day after the first day of school in August and the last day in February, your child will usually start school in the August (the beginning of Autumn term) in the year before they turn 5.
Back to top

What is deferred entry to school?

Deferred entry to school means that children start primary school one year later than the typical start date.

All parents and carers have the legal right to defer their child’s entry to primary school if they are not yet 5 years old at the beginning of the school year. 

All children who defer will automatically be entitled to an additional year of funded early learning and childcare (ELC) when they defer P1 entry. This includes children who defer the 2023-24 school year.

Back to top

How do I decide what's best for my child?

Choosing to defer when your child starts primary school is a big decision. 

Before you make your mind up, it’s worth finding out a bit more about the primary school your child will be attending. If you’ve not visited a school recently, then you might be surprised at how much has changed since you were in P1!

Speak to the teacher or headteacher about any specific concerns you might have, and if you think your child might benefit from a bit of extra support to settle in, then find out what the school can do.  

Your early learning and childcare provider may also be able to give support.

Check out the list below of ‘things to consider’ to help you make up your mind.

Back to top

When do I need to decide?

This will depend on your local authority. Have a look at the information on registering for school on your local authority’s website, or contact your local school to find out what you need to do.

You can find out more about early learning and childcare in your local authority area using our

Back to top

Things to consider for your child

If you are thinking about deferring your child’s P1 entry, here are some things you might want to consider.

  • If you are worried about ‘school readiness’, then please remember, it’s not the job of the child to be ‘school ready’, it’s the job of the school to be ‘child ready’.
  • What does the school think about deferring your child's entry? What support would they be able to offer your child if you choose not to defer?
  • What feedback has the ELC setting given you? You can ask for a discussion to get advice from the nursery or childminder.
  • If you choose to send your child to school, what support will be available for them from the school?
  • If you choose to defer your child's entry, what support and challenge will they receive from the ELC setting?
  • Have a think about what deferral will mean when your child is older, for example when they are 12, or 16, and they might be one of the youngest or one of the oldest in their class. 
  • Be aware of what this will mean for gaining qualifications – if a child's entry is deferred then that might mean they would be able to leave school at 16 without achieving any qualifications.
Back to top

How are 4 year olds supported in Primary 1?

Schools and teachers focus on the needs of the child, not their age, whether they are in early learning and childcare or at school. Children are supported to progress through the Curriculum for Excellence at an appropriate rate. 

There has been a change in culture in schools over recent years, with a real focus on play and outdoor learning in many schools.

Your local authority is responsible for identifying whether your child needs help with their learning. If they identify that your child needs some extra support, then the local authority must provide them with this. When making decisions about support for your child, they should take into account any information you provide about your child’s needs.

Back to top

My child has additional support needs, should I defer?

Any deferral should be based on the individual needs of your child. There is no ‘one-size fits all’ approach to deferral or to support for children with additional support needs. Children with additional support needs don’t normally automatically defer. Instead, the school will consider what support to put in place for your child. 

If starting school at this point isn’t in your child’s best interests because of their individual needs, then deferring entry to primary school can be considered. It’s worth chatting to your early learning and childcare provider and school about any concerns you have for your child.

For further information about supporting your child with additional support needs please see Enquire, the Scottish advice service for additional support for learning.

Back to top

You might also be interested in