Skip to main content

Get to grips with childcare costs and benefits

Did you know that you can get help with the cost of your child going to a registered nursery, playgroup or childminder?

All childcare providers must be registered with the Care Inspectorate.

Read more about the quality of ELC settings here.

Early Learning and Childcare

Funded by the Scottish Government through your local authority, high quality early learning and childcare helps give your little one the best possible start. It will help with your child’s language and social skills, encouraging them to learn through play with other children. Read more about the benefits of ELC here.

From August 2021, all 3 and 4 year olds, and around a quarter of 2 year olds, will be able to access 1140 hours of Early Learning and Childcare, funded by the Scottish Government. That works out at about 30 hours a week if you use it during school term-time, or around 22 hours a week if you use it year round. Check out our page on funding and entitlement to ELC for more info.

What other ways can you get help with childcare costs?

Want to see if there are other things you could save money on?

The Money Talk Team is a free, easy and friendly service that can help you see what you might be entitled to or whether you can save money.

Last updated: 28 Nov, 2022