Parent Club's top tips
You don't need to buy a new wardrobe for breastfeeding, but certain clothes are more comfortable and will keep you fairly covered while feeding your baby.
- Layering: wear a single top under another top, such as a vest and a looser top or jumper. This means you can pull one top up, not expose any skin and still be warm.
- If you're feeling self conscious wear jeans, leggings or a skirt that sits a bit higher than normal. This will cover your tummy when you lift up your top to feed.
- Looser tops hide more skin, which is useful for older babies who often stop to look around during their feed.
- A large scarf is really useful. Out and about it will cover baby sick and spills, shield your baby from the cold or the sun and cover you when you're breastfeeding.
- If you prefer dresses, look for stretchy material or wrap dresses.
- Most importantly, get a good fitting bra or two. Nursing bras are recommended because they stretch more, allowing for the changing size of your breasts. Some supermarkets now sell nursing bras but if you can't find one for a decent price, just make sure to wear a bra that's on the big side.