Getting your little one out of nappies and on to the toilet is a big moment for both of you. They feel grown up, and you can begin to see an end to the delights of changing nappies! Try not to feel pressured into getting them out of nappies before they're ready – nothing slows it down more than rushing them. Here are a few games from dads and mums to make toilet training fun.
Tips from parents for getting through potty training
- "They'll go when they're ready"
- "Try and not get stressed out when people unhelpfully say that theirs were out of nappies at 18 months! Every child is different and some will be much later than that so follow your child's lead and trust yourself a bit more"
- "The best advice would be if they are having accidents constantly then don't be afraid to go back the way and try again later"
- "After potty training 4 children... I just want anyone who needs to hear this to know that you can pop that kid on the potty every 15 mins until you are blue in the face and they still will not do it until they are ready"
Tips for making it fun
- "Potty train their toys at the same time"
- "Let them play with the potty so they didn't get scared of it "
- "Keep the pressure off"
- "We picked Easter hols so we'd have a couple of weeks with not a lot of pressure to go places etc"
- "Patience!!! Lots of happy clapping when they go on the potty! And make light of accidents so they don't feel bad, just lots of positivity"