All breastfeeding experiences are different
Hear about the experiences of both new and more experienced mums as they talk about breastfeeding their babies. Every mum has their own breastfeeding story to tell. On this page you can hear mums talk about why they made the choice to breastfeed, how they overcome any challenges, found support and how they feel about their breastfeeding experience now.
Why I chose to breastfeed
How I overcome my breastfeeding challenge
How I found support, help and advice
How I feel about my breastfeeding experience now
Find a breastfeeding support group in your local area
There are breastfeeding support groups all around the country, run by trained midwives and health visitors.
These groups are a great way for you and your baby to meet new friends, and a chance to have a good chat about the highs and lows of breastfeeding!
Due to the current coronavirus situation, breastfeeding support groups will not be running at the moment. Please contact your Midwife, Health Visitor or Family Nurse for support. Alternatively, please call the National Breastfeeding Helpline on 0300 100 1212, NCT on 0300 330 0700 or La Leche League on 0345 120 2918.
NCT online breastfeeding support groups
You can now join NCT breastfeeding support groups online.
- Thursdays 10:30-11:30am
- Wednesdays 10:30-11:30am
To register, fill in the form here. Your email address will only be used to send a link to the Zoom log in. Minimal and non-identifiable data collection will occur, but data will only be collected for monitoring.
If you have any queries, please contact Zoe Brown on 07732 690813 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you're in the Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire area, the NCT Early Days Drop In Group is also running sessions on Zoom. Find out more on their Facebook page or by contacting Tracy on email@example.com.
La Leche League – Breastfeeding support for mothers
LLL Edinburgh are working hard to keep supporting mothers with their breastfeeding journey while maintaining social distancing. They are trialling TWO regular weekly online meetings on Fridays at 10:30am and 8:00pm. All face to face meetings are suspended until further notice. As always are meetings are free, although we do welcome donations.
We are also available for 1:1 support and can be contacted via Facebook messenger, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Eden 0131 336 2641, Sarah 07842078527 or Karla 07702599503.
You can find details of support available from NHS Grampian here.
If you have a question or need support with any aspect of feeding, NHS Lanarkshire Infant Feeding Team can help. We offer online, telephone and “Near Me” video calls to anyone living in Lanarkshire. Find us on our Facebook page and Facebook group or call 01698 366710, 7 days a week, 09:30-17:00.
NCT Glasgow Breastfeeding Buddies
You can now join NCT Glasgow Breastfeeding Buddies support groups online.
- Mondays 1.30pm – 2.30pm To register, please fill in this form: https://forms.gle/PAWNmwfCNkCFmHQX8
- Thursdays 1.30pm – 2.30pm To register, please fill in this form: https://forms.gle/XSe1iDDRGSidaqMq7
Your email address will only be used to send a link to the Zoom log in. Minimal and non-identifiable data collection will occur, but data will only be collected for monitoring.
If you have any queries, please contact Jocelyn Smith at email@example.com
Glasgow Breastfeeding Buddies can also offer 1:1 support with an NCT trained Breastfeeding Peer Supporter via telephone, video call, text or messenger. Please find details on our Facebook page or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Breastfeeding Network
The Breastfeeding Network has trained peer support volunteers in some areas of Scotland. At the moment our face to face support options are suspended due to coronavirus but there are still lots of other ways for you to get in touch with us.
- Ring the National Breastfeeding Helpline on 0300 100 0212 or message them on Facebook @NationalBreastfeedingHelpline.
- Find your local Facebook page or group to chat to other mums and trained peer supporters
- @BfNAyrshireandArran or Ayrshire Breastfeeding Centres,
- @MidBreastfeeding (Midlothian Breastfeeding Alliance)
- BfN Greater Glasgow and Clyde Families
- Fife Breastfeeding Café (with the Association of Breastfeeding Mothers)
- Send an email to your local team of peer support volunteers and we can offer support via email or arrange to call you back to offer free 1:1 support over the phone or via video call
- Join in with a virtual breastfeeding group video chat to say hello to other mums and peer supporters without leaving the house! Details of the groups and links to join are on our various Facebook pages
If you're pregnant and have any questions about feeding your baby when it arrives or if you just want to chat to someone please get in touch. All our volunteers are mums who have breastfed their own children and completed training so that they can support other families.